2/23/2009 2:38:16 AM
Always Searching for What Makes it So Real
What have I learned, anyway?
1) I may a person that will always get his best vocal when playing an instrument while singing in the very first tracks of a song being laid down.
2) It will work just great if a drummer is also playing at the same time those first tracks go down
3) It will not work as well if any kind of mechanization is involved: metronome or drum machine. So without a drummer, just play the thing and keep as good of time as able
4) If I get a good performance with those first tracks, I mean a good vocal, then all kinds of things can be done or not done, we're home free. If I don't get a good performance, hours piled on hours of different approaches will never get anywhere until I first get a vocal I like.
5) Everything has to serve the vocal if I want to end up liking it long term. That is why you have to write well, and if you don't, the vocal will never do...Writing of melody, word choice attitude of the song...all these things work for or against the vocal.
6) Don't kid myself...no vocal I like on tape yet? No point in trying to get further until there is...